Your four-legged friend is your best friend and you’d do anything to keep Fido safe. And that’s especially true when it comes to discomfort. The good news for you, as a pet parent, is that there are many at-home remedies that can help you do just that. Here are some natural ways to help your fur family member so he doesn’t suffer in discomfort.
Support Your Dog With A Healthy Diet
You are what you eat. You’ve heard it time and time again...for a good reason! The sentiment holds truth! It’s key to feed your dog a diet that’s balanced and full of nutrient-rich ingredients that will support his health. If your pup is uncomfortable, it’s a good idea to address his diet first. There are plenty of targeted diets to choose from that can offer discomfort support with formulas that include ingredients that support healthy inflammatory response and promote wellness.
But, that may not be necessary. A protein-packed diet with the right balance of carbs, fiber, and fat is likely all your dog needs to help his body better handle aches and pains. Discuss diet with your Vet or animal nutritionist for a recommendation. Getting advice from a professional, who is familiar with your dog and his unique nutritional needs is the best way to determine which food is best for your pet.
If your pup’s uncomfortable, it might seem like physical activity is the last thing to try. But, getting regular exercise is a key part of healthy living and can prevent discomfort from becoming an issue in the first place. Plus, if muscle tension or stiffness is to blame for your dog’s discomfort, getting active can help!
After getting the go-ahead from your Vet to hit the outdoors with your dog, start slow. You don’t want to further aggravate your pup. Go for a short walk and slowly build up his strength and endurance to support your dog through his discomfort.
Other natural treatments you can try are physical therapy, hydrotherapy, massage therapy, and other similar treatments. It’s always important to discuss options with your Vet, but these activities have all been shown to help uncomfortable dogs manage their symptoms.
Reach For Herbal Remedies
Botanicals can be incredibly powerful, so it’s no surprise that there are countless herbal remedies that can help your dog with his discomfort. Look for plant compounds that contain anti-inflammatory properties, that are full of antioxidant power, or that boost Fido’s immune system because these tend to be most effective when addressing discomfort. Here are some herbs to consider adding to your dog’s diet:
Arnica: This is the ultimate herb when it comes to discomfort! Arnica has been shown to help with a host of physical issues and can even help your pup’s skin heal if he has a bruise or scrape.
Devil’s Claw: This herbal remedy has been used by humans for hundreds of years and it’s been shown to help with aches and pains thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. When you add it to your dig’s diet, expect him to experience some discomfort relief!
Alfalfa: It’s not just rabbit food! Adding Alfalfa to your dog’s diet can be extremely beneficial if he’s experiencing joint discomfort. Alfalfa has been shown to support healthy mobility and promote healthy joints and connective tissues.
- Turmeric: This superfood gets a lot of hype, and for good reason! It’s proven to support a healthy inflammatory response and can be added to your dog’s diet to help prevent inflammation-related discomfort.
Add Supplemental Help
In addition to eating a healthy diet that’s packed with whole-food ingredients, consider also adding discomfort support in the form of added supplements. There are a number of dietary aids that can promote overall health and can be especially helpful if your dog is uncomfortable. Here are some dog supplements to consider for Fido:
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: It’s often muscle and joint discomfort to blame if your pet is stressed. Adding Omega-3 Fatty Acids to your dog’s diet helps promote healthy muscles and is beneficial for healthy joints. Plus, it’s good for his mood! Nothing puts your pup in a poor mood quite like discomfort and Omegas can help him feel balanced instead of blue.
Glucosamine & Chondroitin: These two ingredients are so powerful when it comes to joint support. They not only promote healthy mobility but they’ve also been shown to improve conditions that can cause discomfort for your dog. If you notice your pet seems to be achy and have trouble with mobility, these are two ingredients you definitely want to add to his diet.
Immune System Support: When you want to help your dog address discomfort at home, reach for a supplement that contains immune system-supportive ingredients. A common cause of discomfort is long-lasting inflammation — and that’s exactly why it’s helpful to add a supplement that contains ingredients filled with anti-inflammatory properties to your dog’s bowl.
- Dental Aids: If oral issues are causing your dog to be uncomfortable, address them with the help of a dental aid. Look for one that contains ingredients that can fight bacteria and help prevent infection that can lead to additional health issues if left unchecked. Choose from a chew, hygiene water, or treat to help your pet avoid achy gums or a sore mouth.
PetHonesty Supplements That Can Help With Dog Discomfort
Ready to support your dog with supplements that target discomfort? Then you’re in the right place! PetHonesty carries several products that are formulated for your dog, and many that can help your dog find discomfort relief.
- For general discomfort: Try immune system support! Reach for a supplement like Advanced Allergy SkinHealth Chews for overall health and to help your pet if he has general discomfort. It’s made with a powerful blend of probiotics to support the immune system, colostrum to boost immunity, too, mushrooms that are rich in antioxidants, and more.
- For joint discomfort: If your pup has issues with mobility and joint discomfort has him uncomfortable, support him with a supplement like Advanced Hip & Joint Chews. It’s made with a potent blend of joint-support ingredients like Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Turmeric, and more.
- For dental discomfort: If your dog’s mouth seems to be causing him distress, address his oral health with the help of a dental aid like Oral Hygiene Dental Water. It’s made with ingredients that work to help prevent dental issues from developing into long-term discomfort for your dog including Bromelain, grapeseed extract, and more.