Chicory, dickory, dock? The cat ran up the clock...No, we’re not talking about fairy tales or nursery rhymes today. We’re talking about Chicory Root—a beneficial fiber that can easily be added to your pet’s diet. Chicory Root for cats can be seriously beneficial to your pet. In this post, we’ll cover everything you need to know about Chicory Root, Chicory Root For cats, and Chicory Root supplements.
What is Chicory Root?
Chicory Root seems to be popping up in ingredient lists everywhere. From people food to pet food and everything in between! But, before we discuss why this ingredient has become a staple in so many food formulas, we’ll answer the question: what is Chicory Root?
Chicory Root is a leafy plant that belongs to the dandelion family. When it’s blooming, the plant is covered in bright blue flowers, but that’s not why most people want to harvest the plant. Instead, it’s for the fibrous root portion of the plant. Manufacturers most often extract the fiber from Chicory Root so it can be added into food or used as a supplement. The plant, on its own, doesn’t exactly taste great. Instead, it’s best when used only for its fiber content and masked by another flavor that tastes a bit better!
So, why is everyone going crazy over Chicory Root? Because it’s chock-full of prebiotic fiber that supports digestive health. Seriously, chock-full. Chicory Root is made up of 68% inulin, which is a powerful fiber that’s been shown to promote digestive wellness.
Is It Safe: Chicory Root For Cats?
The good news for your cat and other four-legged family members is that Chicory Root is perfectly safe for both cats and dogs to consume. In fact, the fiber-filled ingredient can be beneficial to both of their diet. As with any new ingredient, it’s important to discuss nutrition and any changes to your cat’s diet with your Vet or animal nutritionist. Your cat has unique dietary needs that might be different from another feline friend. It’s always best to speak with a professional who knows your pet before introducing your kitty to any new foods!
What Are The Benefits Of Chicory Root For Cats
Wondering why you should consider Chicory Root for cats. There are a number of reasons you should consider prebiotic fiber, and in particular Chicory Root, to supplement your feline friend’s diet.
- Chicory Root Supports Healthy Digestion: Prebiotic fiber supports the growth of friendly, good bacteria. This means that it helps keep your kitty’s gut full of the bacteria her body needs for healthy digestion and a strong immune system. See, bacteria—they need to eat. And prebiotic fiber from Chicory Root helps feed that bacteria so it can continue supporting your cat’s entire digestive tract.
- It’s Also Beneficial For Biome Balance: But, that’s not all prebiotic fiber does to help your feline and her digestive health! It also helps keep things in balance. Her gut biome, which includes everything from her mouth to her tush, is full of billions of bacteria that all work together in harmony to keep your kitty healthy. If there’s too much of one type of bacteria or not enough of another, your cat may start to experience digestive upset. Incorporating plenty of prebiotic fiber into your cat’s can help rebalance her gut so it’s functioning at its best.
- It Even Works To Keep Your Cat Regular: When it comes time to do her ‘business’ your kitty needs her digestive system to be working properly in order to have healthy bowel movements. Prebiotic fiber promotes healthy #2’s by helping to ensure the proper amount of water is removed from food as it’s digested. This makes it much easier for your cat’s waste to pass through her and into her litter box.
- Chicory Root Supports A Healthy Immune System: Did you know that the majority of your cat’s immune system cells actually live in her digestive tract? Weird, right? Well, it’s true for you, too. And this means that digestive health is key when it comes to overall wellness, too. Making sure your cat has plenty of prebiotic fiber in her diet is a great way to support her immune system. And, adding a little extra Chicory Root when she’s under the weather, experiencing occasional allergies, or is facing a recurring health issue can give your cat’s immune system a little boost.
- It Supports A Healthy Appetite: We all know just how picky cats can be at mealtime, but eating frequent meals is essential to their overall wellness. If your cat goes a couple of days without eating, it can cause serious issues for her liver. Prebiotic fiber like Chicory Root helps your kitty have a healthy appetite, so she's less likely to skip meals.
How To Add A Chicory Root Supplement To Your Cat’s Diet
Ready to add Chicory Root to your cat’s diet? There are plenty of ways to do so. But, instead of trying to add it directly to your cat’s food dish, consider a supplement, instead. It’s an easy, effective way to pump up the prebiotics she’s consuming on a daily basis. And, she’ll enjoy it if you choose one in a flavor that’s kitty-friendly. Here’s what to keep in mind when looking for a prebiotic supplement for cats.
Choose One That’s Made With Prebiotic Fiber And Probitocs, Too
Sure, you could feed your cat a supplement with prebiotic fiber and only prebiotic fiber. But, to be most effective, it’s a good idea to look for a supplement that’s formulated with both prebiotic fiber and probiotic fiber. Why? Because your cat needs healthy bacteria in her gut for healthy digestion. Probiotics deliver healthy bacteria straight to her digestive tract where it’s most effective. Prebiotic fiber helps with healthy digestion in its own right, but it also serves to fuel healthy bacteria growth and balance. Both prebiotics and probiotics play an important role in your cat’s digestion….so choosing a supplement that contains them both is a powerful way to promote digestive health.
Pethonesty Chicory Root Supplements For Your Cat
Pethonesty recently launched a new product formulated with your cat’s digestion in mind. Pethonesty Digestive Probiotics+ Powder For Cats supports your kitty’s gut health two-fold, with both prebiotic fiber and probiotic bacteria. It’s formulated with ingredients like catnip to make sure your cat goes crazy anytime you add the supplement to her food dish, billions of healthy probiotic bacteria, and Chicory Root for prebiotic fiber.