If your pet is bothered by dog itchy skin, then you know just how all-consuming the urge to scratch and scratch can be for your dog. Whether he has an underlying health condition, he’s experiencing seasonal allergies, or you have no clue what’s got Fido itching, the good news is, there are countless products that can help. In recent years, the pet industry has been booming with the introduction of innovative aids designed to help your pet and when it comes to skin health, it’s no different. There are more products than ever hitting the market that are designed with itchy dog skin in mind. Here’s a breakdown of some soothing, calming products you can consider for your dog if itchy, irritated or dry skin makes him uncomfortable.
Dietary & Supplemental Help For Dog Itchy Skin
One of the best ways to promote healthy skin is by feeding your dog a healthy, balanced diet. But, there are also dog skin supplements designed to help your pet maintain his skin health and promote a strong coat, too!
- Omega Fatty Acid Supplements: Your dog’s skin needs Omega Fatty Acids to protect his body and to stay healthy. Adding a supplement that’s formulated with Omega-rich ingredients like fish oil, coconut oil or the like is a great way to help give Fido’s skin some extra support.
- Antioxidants For Dogs: Did you know that the sun can damage your dog’s skin? UV rays can break down your pet’s skin barrier and leave him susceptible to age-related skin issues. This is particularly worrisome if your dog is already experiencing skin issues now, from seasonal allergies, underlying health issues or some other cause. Adding antioxidants to your dog’s diet helps prevent oxidative stress, a condition that can cause harm for your dog and his skin.
- Collagen Aids: Your dog’s skin is full of collagen and when you add it to his diet in supplement form, it can help nourish and strengthen his skin’s condition. Collagen supplements make it easy to add this ingredient to your pet’s daily diet without trying to track down food that has it formulated in the recipe.
- Skin Support Diets: There are plenty of diets out there that are designed with your dog’s skin health in mind. Look for one that is suitable for your pet’s age and breed and that contains plenty of protein, plus a blend of skin supportive ingredients.
Soothing Treatments For Your Dog’s Itchy Skin
If your pet is incessantly itchy, you want to help him find relief, fast. While switching up his diet and adding supplemental help is a great way to support your dog, they are options that will take a bit longer to kick in and start helping your dog find relief. But, there are lots of products on the market that are designed to sooth, calm, treat and relieve your dog ASAP! Here are some to keep in mind:
Bath Soaks: You definitely don’t want to over-bathe your dog when itchy dog skin is an issue, but allowing your dog to soak in a medicated bath can be incredibly soothing for your pet! Look for one that’s gentle if Fido has open sores and that contains active ingredients that will help your dog find immediate relief. Make sure you follow the package instructions to help you determine the potency you should aim for and the amount of time you should allow your dog to soak for.
- Soothing Shampoos: Swap out your shampoo for a soothing option instead. Ingredients like oatmeal and aloe vera can help your itchy dog find relief while getting his body clean. Or, reach for one with active ingredients like Chlorhexidine and Ketoconazole, which have both been shown to help treat skin issues.
- Coat Conditioners: While conditioners are often designed to target your dog’s coat as opposed to his skin, there are plenty of these post-shampoo treatments that can help with skin health, too. Look for one that contains ingredients that will sooth itchy skin and help your dog recover from irritation, like coconut oil or aloe vera.
- Dog Anti-Itch Spray: If your doggo is seriously itchy and you want to help him stop feeling the need to scratch so much, try an anti-itch spray. They’re designed to be applied to Fido topically and are easy to spray onto any irritated areas. Depending on the anti-itch spray you choose to try, they’ll target allergies or other skin issues like fungus or infection.
Other Soothing Grooming Tools For Itchy Dog Skin
Aside from food, treats, soaks, scrubs, sprays and shampoos, you’ll likely find grooming tools to help your dog and his itchy skin when you’re browsing your local pet store. There are new products coming out all the time, but one that’s convenient and effective are skin wipes. Wipes are often formulated with anti-itch ingredients and help soothe your dog’s skin and clean it at the same time. They’re especially helpful for pet parents who are on the go and need to be able to support their dog’s skin health without a big mess!
Whichever products you choose to add to your dog’s daily routine to help him itch less and have healthier skin, talk to your vet about them first! While they’re all safe and designed for use with dogs, your dog has his own unique needs and what works for one pet might not be best for your four-legged friend.
PetHonesty Products to Help With Dog Itchy Skin
After reading through this article, you now know that there are tons of products designed to help your dog with skin health. So, if your dog is oh-so-itchy, look for a supplement that contains soothing, anti-itch ingredients, like Advanced Allergy SkinHealth Chews. They’re designed for the dog who’s itching is caused by occasional or seasonal allergies and include ingredients that will help him itch less. The formula has an antioxidant-rich mushroom blend, Echinacea, which is seriously soothing, Colostrum to support Fido’s immune system and more.
If your dog’s skin is itching and seasonal allergies aren’t to blame, try adding Omega SkinHealth to his diet. These tasty chews are am-packed with Omega Fatty Acids, one of the most effective ingredients when it comes to supporting skin health. They help nourish your dog's skin barrier from within and help soothe his itchy, itchy skin!
When it’s bath time for Fido, reach for PetHonesty Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo. It’s formulated with active ingredients that target your dog’s itchy skin and help him with immediate itch-relief and long-term treatment.